CONCEPT OF THE PROGRAM
“Of all the evils for which man has made himself responsible, none is so degrading, so shocking or so brutal as his abuse of the better half of humanity; the female sex.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Self-defense, especially for women, is of prime importance due to the world of power imbalance that we live in today. Especially in a country like India where the cases of gender violence are on rise, while many others go unreported, self-defense for women has become imperative more than ever. Some of the common crimes against women in India include rape, sexual assaults, molestation, kidnapping and murder. These are in addition to other vulnerable crimes such as acid attacks, groping and eve-teasing. It is in these instances when the importance of learning self-defense techniques for women is felt strongly. The criminals tend to choose their target when they find a potential victim who is unaware of their surroundings.
TIMR organized program dated 27th February, 2020 on “Women Safety Awareness” in association with Bharosa Cell/ Women Cell Department, Police Commissioner Office, Sadhu Vaswani chowk, Pune. The aim of workshop is to make students and staff aware, cautious, and equipped in times of need is what can immobilize/decapitate, put the criminals in danger and in turn can potentially reduce the number of crimes against women
1. To make students and staff aware, cautious, and equipped in times of need to reduce the number of crimes against women
2. To make aware about rights & privileges of women
3. To create awareness among female staff and students about right of working women against sexual harassment in workplace
4. A circular uploaded on the university’s website has made it mandatory to conduct the workshop, a compliance report for which will also be expected post the events
Mrs. Vijaya Karande Sr. Police Inspector with her team Mrs. Sujata Shanme, Assistant police commissioner, lady constable named Anjali More and Varsha Shinde (Damini) conduct workshop at TIMR.
Dr. Ravindra Gadge-Director TIMR, Dr. Mukti Katariya, worked to make this event a success.
IMPACT OF THE EVENT
1. The workshop talked about basics of the self-defense system, how should one react in an unfriendly situation?
2. Such program underlines personal safety guidelines at home, public transport, outstation travel, hotel safety and social gathering,
3. It makes students aware of the striking and defensive techniques, how should one tackle multiple attackers, react and deter the intents.